Tuesday, December 2, 2008
Teething, Fever, Snow Flurries and a side of Poison Control
It is 4:30 am and I can't sleep. I had a horrible day yesterday and I keep on going over it in my head. Gavin has had a runny noise for a few days but yesterday something wasn't right. He seemed warm so I took his temp and he had a fever. I called the doctors office and I was able to get an appointment that afternoon. The doctor checked him out and while looking at his throat she made a comment that there was some "major teething going on". This explains the ear pulling because his ears were perfect. She did warn that there is a virus going around that is affecting babies his age and to expect a spike in his fever and a rash afterward and to just let it run it's course. I was also told not to give him baby Tylenol until his fever was 101. So, I was relieved. He was grumpy all afternoon and wasn't interested in dinner. which is very weird for him. I decided to check his temp again right after Tucker got home (he was working late, we both had long hard days) and before his bath it was 101.8 which I expected but it was still unsettling. The dropper that came with the medicine was not working so we had to use a syringe that came with his baby first aid kit. (I know mistake #1) I remember looking at the amount in the syringe and thinking that it looked like a lot but I didn't do my job and double check. As I pulled it away from his mouth I saw what we had done. We gave him 10ml instead of 1ml! We were instantly in panic mode. While I was in the bathroom trying to make him throw up, Tucker was on the phone with poison control. I was almost sure that we would be taking a trip to the ER. Tucker had to give this guy a bunch of information from the bottle, age, weight etc. and after the guy did calculations he said that Gavin would be fine. He said the limit was 200 (units) and he had a 71. So, Tucker being the guy he is, he got his calculator out and rechecked his work . We couldn't just except that we gave him a 10x overdose and "he'll be fine"so we decided he would be sleeping in our room so we could keep an eye on him. We had the pack in play still set up from Thanksgiving so he slept in there. Tucker has been waking up every few hours and checking on him and I am waking up every time he whimpers so I guess that is contributing to me being awake at this hour. So, is was a horrible day. Also, we had snow flurries.....on Dec 1st. I"m starting to believe that Gavin in control of snow. Whenever he is in turmoil it snows. It snowed unseasonably late the day I went into labor and it snowed unseasonable early with his first fever. Perhaps a future meteorologist? I"m going to try to get more sleep.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment